    SubjectRe: Annoying GPL issues

    On Fri, 28 May 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > From: Bob Taylor <>
    > Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:14:31 -0700
    > > Okay, maybe we can grant copyright of some part of core kernel code to
    > > FSF. Anyone who does have code in kernel core should be able to grant
    > > their copyright to FSF. [I'd volunteer, but my only bigger piece of
    > > code in kernel is nbd ;-)]
    > Nooooooooo!
    > Agreed. If you have the best interests of the Linux community at heart,
    > absolutely not. Keep in mind that Richard Stallman is an ideologue; an
    > activist. He has the interests of his particular political agenda as
    > his primary motivator, and I am sure he would perfectly happy to
    > sacrifice Linux in the name of furthering the goals of promoting his
    > ideas about free software if that ever became necessary.

    The guy you qualify as ideolog has promoted things that _really_ exist and
    are used and useable nowadays. Could it be possible he just is a pragmatic
    ideolog ? ;-)
    So was probably Linus and perhaps you at the beginning of the Linux
    project. But time may have cleared part of your memory.

    > My personal loyalties is not to the FSF but to the Linux community, and
    > most of the Linux community tend to be pragmatists. Open Source
    > Software is preferable, and we work to make better and greater amounts
    > of OSS, but if someone needs to purchase an Accelerated-X server in
    > order to get support for a video card using a Savage 3D chipset, that's
    > fine. We don't berate someone for having a moral failure because they
    > used (oh, horrors!) propietary software on their Linux system.

    You are just mixing pragmatism and busyness here, in my opinion. You must
    be pragmatic, may-be, if you want to succeed with $$-busyness, but you
    also can be pragmatic in a more general way. For example, I donnot
    think than projects like Plan-9 that looks like sci-fi that will never
    happen has something to do with pragmatism.

    > As such, the goals of the FSF are very different than the goals of the
    > Linux community, and the last thing we should want to do is give that
    > kind of power over to the FSF. Otherwise, some day we might see an
    > announcement in Slashdot...

    You seem to speak as some representant of the whole Linux community.
    Did I miss some election you won or perhaps what you call 'Linux
    community' is very different from what I understand from.

    > "We had to destroy the village in order to save it".
    And perhaps to kill everybody that are against what you want to save, if

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.055 / U:1.124 seconds]