SubjectRe: Why is 2.0.36 so broken? (RH 5.2)
Hi Bruce.

> "run" is a little program I wrote to echo its arguments and exec
> the program specified. That way, I could be certain what strings
> were delivered to the execvp() syscall. Here is the code, the
> invocation and the result:

> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
>
> int main( int argc, char** argv )
> {
> printf( "Run\t%s (%d args)\n", *++argv, --argc - 1 );
> {
> int i = 0;
> char** pp = argv+1;
> while (++i < argc)
> printf( "\targ %d\t%s\n", i, *(pp++) );
> }
> return execvp( *argv, argv );
> }

>> run vi test
> Run vi (1 args)
> arg 1 test
> "^IÎë^X~M¶" [New File]:q
> :q

> Were I to have written out the file (which I have done on
> occasion), the result would be a file named, "^IÎë^X~M¶". Not
> good. Whatever the cause of this problem, I think it is the
> primary reason for another problem: after several invocations,
> Netscape suddenly complains that I have no default Inbox, and so
> I cannot receive my mail. But it takes several invocations.
> The result is a netscape process that is not talking to my
> xwindow, so I have to ps e|egrep netscape and kill -9 the
> process :(.

> I just tried something:

>> run run vi xxx
> Run run (2 args)
> arg 1 vi
> arg 2 xxx
> Run vi (1 args)
> arg 1 xxx
> "^IÎë^X~M¶" [New File]:q

> Interesting.

That's what I was going to suggest, and it proves that the problem
isn't with the kernel...

> By the way, this manifestation of the problem goes away if I set
> my login shell to bash, instead of ksh.

That suggests a problem caused by ksh so you might wish to contact
somebody concerned with ksh to get their comments...

I can state that I don't have ksh handy here, nor do I have install
privelidges to install it...

> The Netscape problem remains, however.

> This is a highly, highly reproducible problem. _any_ suggestions
> at all? Please?

Only those above.

Best wishes from Riley.