    SubjectRe: 48 day uptime problem?
    On Mon, 3 May 1999, Steven Roberts wrote:

    > Bob McElrath wrote:
    > > On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, David Miller wrote:
    > > > It's 48 days old, and sorry, we're just a bunch of "punk kids" who
    > > > think they're going to change the world :-)
    > >
    > > Conveniently, my alpha hit 48 days uptime a day after you guys found this.
    > > Unfortunately, it seems the problem is more complicated than just the TCP
    > > code. I suspect that in many places in the kernel, time (in ms) is taken as
    > > a 32-bit integer. I experienced the following symptoms (kernel 2.2.2-ac7)
    > > when I hit 48 days:
    > >
    > > 1) No network connections succeeded.
    > > 2) processes that I "visited" (i.e. went to xterm, typed something...)
    > > spammed the CPU. Load hit 10 very quickly, and it took about 10 minutes for
    > > 'shutdown -r now' to succeed.
    > >
    > > I'll install 2.2.7 with your patch today, but in 48 days I'll be out of the
    > > country and away from my computer. I hope someone else can investigate this
    > > further sometime around the middle of June. ;)
    > >
    > > Maybe some greps of the source tree for time calls?
    >
    > Which Is this known to be a 2.2 issue? I'm running 2.0.35 on an old
    > multi which has an uptime of 91 days. Only glich is netstat spewing
    > unaligned traps every now and again, but other than that, running
    > great. The machine is a user/mail/web/ftp server so it gets a fair
    > amount of network traffic.

    If you have an uptime of 91 days, and network stuff still works, I suppose
    that's conclusive evidince that it's in 2.2 only. Examine the patch to be
    sure though...

    -- Bob

    -- Benjamin Franklin

    Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.024 / U:90.128 seconds]