   Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 14:14:05 +0200
From: Pavel Machek <>

All at interrupt time. I wonder how do you solve this problem with
serial ports: these days serials can be easily driven at speeds close
to 1Mbit... (I'm talking about dumb on-board serials like NS PC87108).

I simply haven't see much demand or practical application for high-speed
serial transfers. It's restricted to short distance unless you use
*very* expensive cables, and you can get better performance more cheaply
simply by using Ethernet instead. 10 Megabit ethernet cards are dirt
cheap, and Cat 5 UTP cables are much, much cheaper than high-quality
serial cables, and you can run them for a much greater distance without
worrying about noise or signal degredation problems.

The only reason why high-speed serial might be interesting is for those
IR ports that look like serial ports, and there aren't that many
interesting applications requiring that yet. I do intend to fix this; I
just haven't seen a huge urgency to it. If someone has an actual,
real-life application, let me know....
- Ted