SubjectRe: 2.3.3 Total Lock-Up
Date
> >From: alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk
>
> >This morning I checked on Tahallah and discovered everything was
> >completely locked up.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >Matrox Millennium II 8MB graphic card
>
> i wonder ... which X server are you using ?
>
> >This is the first time that Linux has totally locked up on me in 2 years
> >(should I be surprised?). I will see if it doesn't lock up again by
> >tomorrow morning. I really should set up a network so I can telnet in.
>
> I am running 2.2.7 SMP on a dual PII-450, and I "regularly" get total
> lockups. It happens to me just after a recompile of a large
> application (17MB including debugging info), at the point where I tell
> gdb to restart it. It happens approximately once in every 20-30
> restarts, but I also have a feeling that it occurs more often as the
> machine has been up longer.
>
> I have been unclear whether it is X related (since, like alex, i can't
> test network accessibility) or the kernel dying.
>
> Its certainly consistent with a file system issue; right now, I have 3
> "syncs" at the end of my makefile, and its always notable that the
> first of these shuffles a lot of blocks onto the disk (not
> suprisingly, having just compiled a 17MB executable).

I am getting similar behaviour with lockups, but I have identified the cause.

I have a VIA MVP3 chipset.

On my older VIA chipsets, I would get lots of error messages during boot, but nothing bad would happen. (Turning off UDMA with the -d switch in hdparm fixed the problem.) With the new chipset, whenever I write alot of data to the hard drive (by, say, installing Civ:Call to Power), the system locks up hard.

At first I thought it was an X server error. I ran into the same problem though untarring a huge file. (Same game mentioned actually...) The solution is `hdparm -d 0 /dev/hda`. (Now if I could just remember to put it into rc.d somewhere...)

As a further warning... Civ:Call to Power is a great hurking timesink and to be avoided if you want to get any code written. (It is also very hard to play on a laptop on the bus.)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.110 / U:0.116 seconds]