SubjectRe: Removable media bug

Roger Wolff wrote:

>Giuliano Pochini wrote:
>
>> >He has a faulty floppy drive, everyone else doesn't is the short
>> summary. The FDC has a "disk changed" detection line.
>>
>> I was spaking about a SCSI magneto-optical drive, not a floppy disk.
>> Anyway... Have some of you a removable media to repeat the test I did
>> ??
>
>To Linux, a floppy is just a small removable disk, just like an MO
>drive is a (moderately) large removable disk.
>
>So if someone tells you that this problem can be caused by a a bad
>media changed signal, then you should interpret that in the context
>of your situation: your MO drive seems to have a bad media changed
>signal...

I am not on this list - I just wanted to confirm the existence of the problem
(found it by searching the ML archive)

Any kernel since 2.2.3 (which works as do builds previous to 2.2.3) at
least up to 2.2.9 (incl. 2.3.0) fails to invalidate at least e2fs buffers for
at least all Fujitsu MO drives (the vast majority of MOs). This really sucks
and the only workaround seems to be to always insert (and mount/umount) an
MSDOS formatted disk between two e2fs-formatted ones to force a flush in some
way.

I know of at least two systems showing this kind of behaviour. I will gladly
try to help debugging by answering any further inquiries about this problem by
email.

Regards,
Fionn

---
PGP-Key available on request

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.044 / U:0.476 seconds]