SubjectRe: Journalling of Metadata in ext2fs?
Hi,

On Mon, 17 May 1999 12:04:00 +0100 (GMT), Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> said:

> Linux does not support synchronous metadata, except as a side-effect of
> completely synchronous filesystems.

Linux supports O_SYNC, fsync() and (in ext2) a per-directory sync update
attribute (man chattr).

> Stephen Tweedie (sct@redhat.com) is working on journalling extensions
> to ext2 and the vfs/block device layers, but I doubt you'll see them
> before mid-2.3. They're described in a paper at
> ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/fs/jfs/.

> Stephen - could some of the API be exported to userspace for use by things
> like databases which want similar transaction support?

No. Application transactions may cover megabytes or more of update.
Filesystem transactions for journaling are limited in scope. There is
no way that ext2/3 journaling will support application transactions.

Think about it --- the application may have data on multiple devices.
It really is up to the application to deal with it.

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.075 / U:0.844 seconds]