    SubjectRe: access to proc filesystem from chrooted process
    On Fri, 21 May 1999, Peri Hankey wrote:

    > Hi Riley
    > It is possible to mount the proc file system onto a directory so that it is
    > visible to chrooted processes. This can be useful, and should ideally be no more
    > dangerous than allowing it to be visible to an unprivileged telnet account.
    > Best Wishes
    > Peri

    Yes. The proc file-system can be mounted multably. You can check this
    out if you have a ftp server installed. Presume it's home directory
    is /home/ftp. As root do:

    cd /home/ftp
    mkdir proc
    mount proc proc -t proc

    Now execute anonymous ftp. You can `chdir` to what now looks like `/proc`
    in the chrooted environment and get the directory.

    I was able to download `get` cpuinfo even though the ftp message
    said it was 0 bytes. The correct size (on my system) of 722 bytes
    was received okay.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.025 / U:5.064 seconds]