    SubjectRe: Capabilities done right [diff against 2.3.1]
    Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
    > Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:04:55 +0200
    > From: Pavel Machek <pavel@bug.ucw.cz>
    >
    > That's hard part, because this way dynamic linker + anything run
    > before main() runs with elevated priviledges. That's problem, at least
    > for me.
    >
    > I just came up with a random thought ---- and I'd need to do more
    > investigating about the ELF format to make sure this is actually doable,
    > but I believe we can control the order in which constructurs get run,
    > yes?
    >
    > So why not simply put the code which drops the privileges in a
    > constructor which is engineered to be run first? If the way that
    > constructor is setup uses a stylized code can be easily found by a
    > setcap or checkcap program (i.e., give the constructor a standard name,
    > and store the capability restriction in a standard variable referenced
    > by the constructor), then you can get the ability to query/set the
    > capabilities, but it's done in such a way which doesn't require any
    > special kernel hacks to enable the feature.
    >
    > This is actually a really cool thing, since it means that people could
    > start using it with the current stable kernel, without needing any
    > kernel patches or needing to wait for Linux 2.4 to ship.

    Yes, that has its attractions. A couple of months ago I suggested
    doing it in the dynamic linker for dynamically linked binaries and in
    an ELF code section for statically linked binaries.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.034 / U:0.452 seconds]