SubjectRe: A challenge to linux
Hi there.

>> Okay, then can show us we do not perform well enough in some hw
>> configurations. Let them. I'd like to see the results, anyway.
>> They may show we are 2 times slower than NT. In Microsoft's test
>> I call it good result.

> Why don't we propose an alternate hardware configuration instead
> of accepting the hardware they proposed. That way we project the
> image that we are not backing down, but we are laying down terms
> for a fair test.

Better still, propose that a set of different hardware configurations
be benchmarked, with the results being announced for all of them.
Here's some of the combinations I would include:

1. The cheapest off-the-shelf system available. Round here, that's an
AMD K6-2/300 with 32M of RAM, a 4.3G hard drive and a 24-speed CD.

2. The top of the range single processor system available in the same
store. In this case, a P2/450 with 512M of RAM, dual 32G hard
drives and a 7-way CD multi-changer.

3. A hardware specification set by Microsoft, restricted to fall
between those of the first two.

4. A hardware specification set by Microsoft, unrestricted.

5. A hardware specification set by agreement between the senior
Linux coders, restricted to fall between (1) and (2).

6. A hardware specification set by agreement between the senior
Linux coders, unrestricted.

7. An SMP system, specification set by Microsoft.

8. An SMP system, specification set by agreement between the senior
Linux coders.

Best wishes from Riley.