    SubjectRe: ext2 question
    On Mon, 17 May 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    >I should point out there have been some projects underway in that space,
    >including a (I believe defunct) logging filesystem project, and the

    The logging filesystem it's not died in my mind. But the more I think at
    it, the more I am worried about the amound of extra work the backing
    storage has to do when the fs reach the wrap. Sometime in the future I
    think I'll sure try it to see how a logfs will scale, maybe a mimimal lazy
    implementation just to produce some number during reads and during writes
    while the log is wrapping.

    Right now I think a journaled fs can blame a logging fs in global
    performances (I am not talking about write performances while the log is
    not wrapping around).

    I planned to have a kernel daemon that will defrag data and move the start
    of the log far from the end of the log while the HD is idle but the point
    is that it's an huge amount of extra work for the system anyway... and if
    the write is faster than the defragger we'll have to wait the
    defrag-kernel-daemon to complete I/O to continue writing.

    The good point is that a loggingfs will automagically preserve also data
    coherency,

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.023 / U:0.136 seconds]