    SubjectRe: Capabilities: ALPHA time
    On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    > Capabilities reached state where they are actually usefull. (I was
    > able to lower permissions for programs like ping and rlogin). There
    > are still some problems with headers (I include
    > /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h directly -- that's ugly),
    > and there are problems with applications which do getuid() and then
    > print failed - must be run as root when they actually do not need root
    > at all (fping). Diff against kernel follows, and diff against
    Flood pinging is a policy issue. We don't want just anybody flood ping so
    it checks that the ruid is 0. May I ask exactly what went wrong with
    "printing"?
    > http://www.goop.org/~jeremy/elf-caps.html follows, too (Jeremy, please
    > apply at least parts which look clean to you).
    > PS: I'd like this "obviously right" patch go in as soon as possible
    > [well perhaps modulo "FLE" ugliness and modulo one printk], so please
    > take a carefull look.
    Your patch doesn't handle notes of different types if I'm reading it
    correctly and it must be first note . I'll look into how the elf stuff
    works closer and what kinds of information and sanity checks we can do so
    that the kmalloc isn't a DoS problem. I'll relook into both versions of
    the elfcap note finder stuff. It's definately 2.3ish though.

    --
    Any caps I mention are *derived* from a withdrawn draft posix document.
    I've finally "unsoiled" myself;->