SubjectRe: CD-RW
On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 02:11:27PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net) wrote:
>
> > >The CD-RW should be mountable just as any standard block device,
> > >and the standard file commands (cp,mv,rm, etc.) should work without any
> > >special program (other than the new kernel or module loaded).
> >
> > It allready does that, and has done so for ages. If you can read
> > a CD, or a CDR on your drive, and if the drive is CDRW multiread
> > compliant, then you can mount a CDRW just like any other disk.
>
> I haven't actually tried this, but even if you can, it's worth
> bearing in mind that the media has a *much* shorter life-span
> than a normal hard disk. From memory, most support something
> like 500,000 rewrites. On a normally mounted filesystem, that's
> not going to last very long before you start looking at data
> corruption. CD-RWs are really much better suited to occasional
> write usage, like rotated media for daily backups than for
> everyday use with a general filesystem like ext2.

The proper method of achieving the original goal (mounting a CD and
treating it like a normal filesystem) is by using packet-writing. I
believe Schiling has asked for volunteers to help out here.

A packet writing filesystem would allow CD-R as well as CD-RW to be
used in the manner described by the original poster. It also avoids
the problem of wearing the CD-RW out by "wasting" the rewrites.

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871 Fax: +61 2 6230 4455 E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au