SubjectRe: Linux & NFS caching: reducing TCO
On Mon, 17 May 1999, Kurt Garloff wrote:

On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 05:38:39AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> Slightly off-point, but..
>
> I remember there was an nfs hack whereby you could have different
> files going to different clients from the same nfs volume based on an
> extension of the filename. eg something like:
>
> ls on the server of nfs export:
>
> size 2242 file1:-client1
> size 3091 file1:-client2
>
> [...]
>
> I remember reading about this somewhere in the linux/Documentation
> directory a long time ago. But I can't find back anymore now, just
> when it'd be useful to me.
>
> Anybody remember this feature? and whether it still exists?

It was called the transname patch and coded at Stuttgart University as a
patch against 2.0.x. It was even included in some 2.1 kernels, but killed
later on.

Regards,

Yes!!! Someone knows what i was talking about! I wasn't imagining
it! :)

Kurt, would you know where i can get the most recent patch for it?
If only old ones are available i'd like to try and port it.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma
paul@clubi.ie http://hibernia.clubi.ie