SubjectRe: Deletion of big files...
On Wed, 19 May 1999, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> > When a user deletes the files, they do disappear, they just get reassigned
> > to krmd and that's it as far as the user is concerned. krmd wakes up at a
> > suitable free moment and deletes the queued stuff (maybe we can use the
> > timeslice interval to delete n amount of stuff and the go back to sleep,
> > wake up again delete another n amount).
> As somone who is chrinically short of hd space I'm begging you not to.

Oh. You're right, it won't work. Guess we'll have to either live with it
*or* redesign the VFS so it spawns a thread (once it's got all the
arguments it needs) to delete the files and returns immediately.

Yes, this could be workable. Have to watch for SMP races though.

"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"