    SubjectRe: Deletion of big files...
    On Wed, 19 May 1999, Gerhard Mack wrote:

    > > When a user deletes the files, they do disappear, they just get reassigned
    > > to krmd and that's it as far as the user is concerned. krmd wakes up at a
    > > suitable free moment and deletes the queued stuff (maybe we can use the
    > > timeslice interval to delete n amount of stuff and the go back to sleep,
    > > wake up again delete another n amount).
    >
    > As somone who is chrinically short of hd space I'm begging you not to.

    Oh. You're right, it won't work. Guess we'll have to either live with it
    *or* redesign the VFS so it spawns a thread (once it's got all the
    arguments it needs) to delete the files and returns immediately.

    Yes, this could be workable. Have to watch for SMP races though.

    Cheers,
    Alex
    --
    "A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

    http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk