SubjectRe: PATCH: rewritten bdflush
Date
> I mount everything on my laptop noatime, which solves that problem.

I'm not aware of ever using atime (maybe some cron script that I'm not
aware of does, or somesuch, but none that I know of).
atime is strange since it seems to be the only detail in Unix semantics which
makes reads side-effecting and turns them into writes, so that doing FOO on
a disk mounted read-only is not the same as doing FOO on the same disk mounted
read-write.

Eliminating atime is of course out of the question since we want to keep
POSIX compatibility, but how expensive would it be to have the notion of
essential and non-essential updates ? atime updates would be tagged
non-essential so that their write-back could be delayed indefinitely.

Stefan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.026 / U:1.228 seconds]