    SubjectRe: Deletion of big files...

    On Fri, 14 May 1999, Jorge Gonzalez Villalonga wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have noticed that when I delete a big file (say 800MB), with a rm
    > command, for example, the rm command does not return until the file has
    > been deleted (or so it seems). With small files, this is almost
    > inmediate, but with files which are say 800 megs in size, this can
    > easily be 10 seconds (_seconds_, it's right) till I get the prompt
    > again, on a P2-333.
    >
    > In other Unices, like IRIX, the rm command returns _inmediately_, no
    > matter the size of the file.
    >
    > Looks to me like the unlink syscall is somewhat synchronous, and it
    > shouldn't, or does it? For this concrete issue, it could be easily

    It's not sys_unlink() per se - it's last fput(). Yes, in many cases it
    happens within sys_unlink(). We could change this behaviour, but there is
    one problem: instead of passing process credentials (as it is done in BSD
    and derivatives) Linux looks at the credentials of current process. So we
    can't pass the final reaping to a daemon (think quotas) and we have slow
    truncate(), so it takes a lot of time. Look through l-k archives - it was
    discussed many times.

    > solved by the unlink syscall starting a thread to unlink the big file,
    > while the rest of the system keeps running normally. But I suppose it's

    Ahem... Normally?
    cp -a /usr/src/linux foo;echo 'Look, mom - load average over 5000';rm -rf foo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.031 / U:0.108 seconds]