    SubjectRe: Deletion of big files...
    Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 May 1999, Jorge Gonzalez Villalonga wrote:
    > > I have noticed that when I delete a big file (say 800MB), with a
    > > rm command, for example, the rm command does not return until the
    > > file has been deleted (or so it seems).
    > > In other Unices, like IRIX, the rm command returns _inmediately_, no
    > > matter the size of the file.
    > > Looks to me like the unlink syscall is somewhat synchronous, and it
    > > shouldn't, or does it? For this concrete issue, it could be easily
    > > solved by the unlink syscall starting a thread to unlink the big file,
    > Cosmetics.
    > $ rm bigfile&
    > will achieve exactly the same thing at no kernel
    > cost...

    Freeing the allocated space *is* incredibly slow under Linux though.
    On my machine (P133) it is something like 15 MB/s.

    Tried with HP-UX sometime ago: Not only does the rm command return
    immediatly, but the space is freed also immediatly (as shown by

    Rob van Nieuwkerk

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.036 / U:7.840 seconds]