SubjectRe: Something wrong in 2.2.8?????
Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>Pete Clements enscribed thusly:
[FS corruption after 2.2.8 new buffer code croaks]

> Now... With that noise out of my system...

It did cost me about 4 hours to recover from a similar event
here, see my other email in the "OOPS bdflush" thread.
Boy, will I wait my usual 1-2 weeks before testing new _stable_
kernels again...

> Having lost half of my mailbox, it became more difficult to reproduce.

I can easily reproduce it with a simple bonnie (-s 300 in that case, your
millage may vary) and when it gets to "writing intelligently" the waste
product hits the fan...

> After verifying that I could still blow it up on command, I commented
>out "update" out of my inittab and rebooted. This was based on remarks in
>the bdflush rewrite thread.
>
> I was now unable to reproduce the problem after more that an hour of
>trying. It also felt like the system was MUCH more responsive when I was
>running the torture test.
>
> I then reenabled the update line in inittab and rebooted.
>
> I was able to reproduce the hang in less than five minutes.

Actually I could reproduce with and w/o update running, so it looks
much more like a generic race condition in the new buffer code.

Dewa,

<CB>
--
// <CB> aka Christian Balzer, Tannenstr. 23c, D-64342 Seeheim, Germany
\X/ CB@aichan.swb.de | Voice: +49 6257 83036, Fax/Data: +49 6257 83037