SubjectRe: Something wrong in 2.2.8?????
Good day, all,

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> Just had some disturbing problems after switching to 2.2.8.
>
> I was only switched over for a short period of time and was working
> on some kernel drivers (Computone serial card drivers - not in the kernel
> I was running at the time of the problems). In one window I had my mail
> up in elm. In the other window, I went to unpack the kernel sources to
> test out a patch. I started a resync on my mailbox about the same time
> I started to untar the 2.2.8 for a fresh set of sources. Both got about
> half way through and died. At that point, I could not kill any of my
> xterm windows although I could run commands like top. Top showed system
> load over 16 and climbing! Could not shut down. Sync would hang. Could
> switch to a virtual console but Cntrl-Alt-Delete failed to do anything.
> Cntr-Alt-Backspace out of X Windows just left a grey screen and then couldn't
> switch to another virtual console. Had to reboot from the hardware switch...

My apologies for not producing as detailed a report as Michael,
but I'd like to add a "me too", for what it's worth. I had been working
with an unpatched 2.2.8 for about 5 hours when I noticed I couldn't make
ssh connections from an Eterm anymore. ssh -v showed:

sparrow.websense.net: Host 'remotemachine' is known and matches the host key.
sparrow.websense.net: Initializing random; seed file /home/wstearns/.ssh/random_seed
[This was the last line printed]

[Normally, the process would go on to print:]
sparrow.websense.net: IDEA not supported, using 3des instead.

When I went back to some other Eterminals, I noticed that one of
my pine sessions, which, like Michael's, was in the process of resyncing
with disk, had stopped responding to anything and had stopped syncing
partway through. It wouldn't respond to a HUP. Other terminals allowed me
to press Ctrl-D or type exit and bash would gladly start to shutdown, but
the Eterm wouldn't ever close. It cleared out the characters from the
bash session then stayed there with a black interior. An enlightenment
right click on the "x" button (the equivalent of kill -9, probably) was
required to close the windows.
Ctrl-alt-backspace shut most of X down, but I never successfully
got back to a text console. Ctrl-alt-del failed to reboot; I had to use
alt-sysrq-s/u/b, which brought me back up into an e2fsck that just had a
small amount of cleanup to do.

[1.] One line summary of the problem:

Applications failed to close or may be having trouble with the filesystem.(?)

[2.] Full description of the problem/report:

Above.

[3.] Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel):

filesystem access, hung apps, reboot, syncing/flushing problem?...

[4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version):

Linux version 2.2.8 (root@sparrow.websense.net) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Wed May 12 04:47:18 EDT 1999
[unpatched]

[5.] Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt)

none.

[6.] A small shell script or example program which triggers the
problem (if possible)

Unable to reproduce so far.

[7.] Environment
[7.1.] Software (add the output of the ver_linux script here)

RedHat 5.2, mostly upgraded to 6.0.

[wstearns@sparrow linux]$ . ./scripts/ver_linux
-- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or looks
-- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
Linux sparrow.websense.net 2.2.8 #1 Wed May 12 04:47:18 EDT 1999 i586
unknown
Kernel modules 2.1.121
Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
Binutils 2.9.1.0.23
Linux C Library 2.1.1
Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.1
Procps 2.0.2
Mount 2.9o
Net-tools 1.51
Kbd [option...]
Sh-utils 1.16
Modules Loaded slip ip_masq_portfw ip_masq_autofw sb uart401 sound
soundcore ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp slhc af_packet serial_cs pcnet_cs 8390
ds i82365 pcmcia_core dummy loop

[7.2.] Processor information (from /proc/cpuinfo):

[wstearns@sparrow linux]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 2
model name : Pentium 75 - 200
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 90.208796
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips : 35.94

[7.3.] Module information (from /proc/modules):

[after reboot, but there probably isn't much change.]
[wstearns@sparrow linux]$ cat /proc/modules
slip 7188 2 (autoclean)
ip_masq_portfw 2256 0 (autoclean) (unused)
ip_masq_autofw 2208 1 (autoclean)
sb 33172 0 (unused)
uart401 5968 0 [sb]
sound 57132 0 [sb uart401]
soundcore 2372 6 [sb sound]
ppp_deflate 40548 1
bsd_comp 3632 0
ppp 19948 2 [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
slhc 4328 2 [slip ppp]
af_packet 5740 3 (autoclean)
serial_cs 3696 0 (unused)
pcnet_cs 7444 1
8390 5920 0 [pcnet_cs]
ds 5740 2 [serial_cs pcnet_cs]
i82365 10908 2
pcmcia_core 33328 0 [serial_cs pcnet_cs ds i82365]
dummy 684 0 (unused)
loop 7520 0 (unused)

[7.4.] SCSI information (from /proc/scsi/scsi)

No scsi devices before or after reboot.

[7.5.] Other information that might be relevant to the problem
(please look in /proc and include all information that you
think to be relevant):

40M ram, Single 4G IDE with swap, / and other partitions. Only
ext2's mounted at that time.

I understand that this report is not as useful as others, but hope
it contributes to a fix in some small way. Cheers,
- Bill

Daphne: At least someone appreciates my mother tongue.
Niles: Yes, I've always had an ear for your tongue.
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com). Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns/