Subject[OFFTOPIC] Re: A challenge to linux

Brian> Please tell me you all are going to go thru with this and
Brian> bury them :)

Brian> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/nt4vLinux.asp

A curious piece of FUD --- 99.9% uptime for NT? When a news story
is so littered with misrepresentations about what I know (2GB mem limit
in Linux?) it really makes me suspect the rest.

Was it only a year ago that Gates mentioned Linux in passing as posing
no threat?

What this new official public proclamation shows is how MS is stepping
up their attack; we all now have a responsibility to avoid a stupid
flame war. MS has the advantage of having no faces, only the
boy-Gates grin icon, so whatever they say does not reflect on a real
person. In contrast, what any of us might say will have a personality
attached, a real person who will be thought to be responsible. Notice
'they' talk about faceless Mindcraft, ZD &c, their article is not even
signed, yet even for RedHat they specifically mention Bob --- it's
subtle, but effective propaganda)

I'd like to offer a caution. In Swahili, there are two words for
propaganda. "Propaganda" means "What is bad about our opponent" and
is meant to foster hate and FUD (you see this on the war news
nightly); historically, this works very well to drum up instant
emotional rage, but it fades with time and, like a junkie, must keep
looking for new villians to feed its habit. The other word is
"Qahare" (kwah-har'-ay) and means "What is great about us" and IMHO it
is a safer yet more powerful media weapon.

--
| _) Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@canada.com>
__| __| | \ TeleDynamics Communications Inc
| ( | \_/ http://www.teledyn.com/ ICQ#6023820
\__|\___|_| Don't oppose forces. Use them. (RBF)