SubjectRe: PATCH: rewritten bdflush
Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> > On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 12:13:30PM -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > >
> > > There is one notable side effect: you don't have to run the user space
> > > update anymore, bdflush wakes up every so often all by itself. I
> >
> > How about notebook users who have configured update to stop
> > writing out buffers and spin down disks after some idle time?
>
> I think we might want to change the kernel's behaviour
> to include the following things:
> - don't flush if:
> - there are less than X dirty buffers &&
> - we haven't recently read from the disk
> - flush if:
> - there are more than X dirty buffers ||
> - we issued a read from the disk more than
> Y and less than Z seconds ago ||
> - the dirty buffer is FAR too old
> (say, an hour or so)

As long as people are thinking about this, I want to add my two cents:

- This should be configurable per-filesystem.

(and, not completely related: )
- e2fs should "unmount" (mark clean) the filesystem say 10 minutes
(configurable) after the last write.

Why?

I have a few machines that have one disk that is actually used, and a
few disks that are just for archive storage and can be left untouched
for days at a time. If the machine suddenly crashes (device driver
development!) it'd be nice if those filesystems would come up
clean. (there is no reason against that...)

It would be nice to be able to spin down those drives after say 10 or
60 minutes of no activity.

Regards,

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------