SubjectRe: Swap File sizes
On Wed, 12 May 1999, Steve Willer wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 1999, George R. Kasica wrote:
>
> > I'm running 384MB of RAM and as was pointed out yesterday making a
> > 768MB swap is a bit of overkill....I seem to remember that in the
> > "old" 1.x days the recommendation was to have swap 2x RAM
> > amount...what would you suggest for the above setup? I'm also running
> > a P-II 366MHz chip.
>
> I always create a single 128MB swap file, no matter how much RAM the
> machine is. On large machines, you probably want to avoid all swapping for
> performance reasons, so you just carry a little bit for bleed-over. On
> small machines, you don't need a swapfile that's more than, say, 4 times
> larger than RAM because you're not going to run anything huge.

Really, it all matters what the application is. One other good idea
is to have swap spread across multiple disks. This will improve swap
performance. My only gripe about swap under linux is that you can't have
more than 8 swap partitions, though I suppose you could use RAID-0 or
linear acroos a couple of partitions and make that one swap partition,
but generally the kernel does a better job handling disk access for swap
than a RAID setup would.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.043 / U:0.300 seconds]