SubjectRe: [2.2.8] undefined reference to `disable_irq_nosync' (+ fix)
On Wed, 12 May 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 1999 bvermeul@blackstar.xs4all.nl wrote:
>
> >I can't seem to find disable_irq_nosync in asm/irq.h, which is where I
> >found disable_irq. The version of 8390.c contains disable_irq, and
> >changing that back fixes the problem.
>
> You want to use disable_irq_nosync() (I developed it because it will
> provide better SMP scalability where the code is just SMP aware, and no
> wasted time in UP). If you can't compile try to do a `make dep clean'
> first.

You seem to have forgotten the fact that linux also supports the Alpha
platform. That's where I had the problem. The source was freshly untarred,
with all patches applied, and then a make oldconfig dep clean boot modules
so that wasn't the problem either. The fact that asm-alpha/irq.h didn't
contain said disable_irq_nosync() was the problem, as pointed out to me by
Ivan Kokshaysky. I of course made the mistake of not double checking the
i386 tree for it, but that's a different matter.

Thanks for your help,

Bas Vermeulen

--
When I shop for hardware I always look for the "Designed for Windows 95" logo.
I really thank Microsoft(TM) for encouraging manufacturers to label their

I stick to quality software:

Linux 2.2.6 | IBM OS/2 Warp (TM) v4.0

--
If I wanted to kill a battleship, I'd use a shitload of
Harpoons. -- Paul Tomblin

NT is a lot cheaper. -- Petro

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.079 / U:0.220 seconds]