SubjectRe: Multiple ide DVD/CD devices question
On Wed, 12 May 1999, Chuck Campbell wrote:

> I'm picking up a machine this afternoon, and it comes with a DVD drive.
>
> My understanding is that there are no drivers for these as of yet. I will
> need to install linux from my RH5.2 CD, so I am going to buy a CD-RW
> drive at the same time (I think).

You don't need to - I haven't tried reading actual DVDs yet, but Linux can
read CDs from DVD drives without problems. They are little more than
CD-ROMs after all.

> 1)will the machine be happy under Linux with both devices in place?
> (It will be a quad boot, Linux, NT, Win98, Solaris)

Yes.

> 3)do CD-RW devices work like CD for the purpose I stated above, or should
> I buy a plain CD device?

They work - and so do DVDs.

> 4)I need to add another disk for all these OSes. I assume 2 HD's and
> one DVD and one CD are all going to live happily here. Which devices
> need to be primary? I assume the HD's need to be if I want to boot from
> them?

One of the harddisks should be primary master - for the others, it's not
that important (just a speed issue).
My guess is they're fastest if you put the harddisks on the primary
controller and the CD and DVD on the secondary.

--
Somebody told me to get a life... Where can I download that???
***

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.045 / U:0.712 seconds]