SubjectRe: 2.3.x wish list?
BROWN Nick <Nick.BROWN@coe.int> wrote:
> >> - Encryption at the IP level (IPsec?)
> > It is, and betas will appear soon for 2.2.* kernels.
> > It will *never* be part of the standard kernel, because
> > US Government thinks that encryption is equal to munitions..
>
> This might not be quite right, for two reasons. Firstly, it would not be
> hard to arrange for non-US users of Linux to get their IP encryption from a
> non-US site. (Provided it was developed outside the US, it could be legally
> imported to the US)

Yes, FreeSWAN is the answer here. That is what I mean with
that 'will appear soon' thing.

Installing it into pre-packaged system distribution isn't all
that hard, but it does require a bit more than novice system,
and kernel hacker skills at the moment.

If the Dan Bernstain's crypto source code suite against US
Federal Government goes thru, then at least *he* can publish
crypto source in web in USA. (No more on this topic here, please.)

> Secondly, the Evil Empire is planning to ship IPsec in Windows 2000. Unless

I recall that in "Reagan Years" that E.E. was located behind
the eastern border of my country, but your context places it
somewhere in north-western USA...

> they provide a source-code level plug-in which can be shown to have been
> developed outside the US, they will have to do some lobbying to get the law
> changed, and that would benefit everybody (for once).

IPSec AUTH, or IPSec ENCRYPTION ?

AUTHentication means the data traffic in itself goes in plain,
but each packet contains a digital signature protecting it, and
guaranteeing its authenticity.

AUTHentication can be produced and exported without limitations,
ENCRYPTION is entirely another container of wriggly things...

Of course they do it with closed specifications and binary only
distributions, so the problems related to *source code* export
don't affect them...

> Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.033 / U:0.252 seconds]