    SubjectRe: 64bit port
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Alex Buell <>
    In newsgroup:
    > On Sat, 1 May 1999, David Miller wrote:
    > > When Jakub and I get the 64-bit userland bootstrapped, I'll start
    > > running crashme to learn what the exact instruction sequences are so
    > > we have a chance at coding a more suitable workaround than what
    > > Solaris has chosen.
    > How about a run-time mechanism for detecting illegal instructions and
    > modifying them into harmless NOP sequences?
    > Ie. on loading of a binary could quickly scan it for illegal sequences and
    > overwrite with NOPs, then execute it. Of course, this doesn't cater for
    > things that does J-I-T compilation & execution though.

    No good... it's trivial for the malicious user to bypass the
    simple-minded check. The general problem is uncomputable.

    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
    and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
    -- Security exploit description on

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:46.840 seconds]