SubjectRe: 64bit port
Followup to:  <>
By author: Alex Buell <>
In newsgroup:
> On Sat, 1 May 1999, David Miller wrote:
> > When Jakub and I get the 64-bit userland bootstrapped, I'll start
> > running crashme to learn what the exact instruction sequences are so
> > we have a chance at coding a more suitable workaround than what
> > Solaris has chosen.
> How about a run-time mechanism for detecting illegal instructions and
> modifying them into harmless NOP sequences?
> Ie. on loading of a binary could quickly scan it for illegal sequences and
> overwrite with NOPs, then execute it. Of course, this doesn't cater for
> things that does J-I-T compilation & execution though.

No good... it's trivial for the malicious user to bypass the
simple-minded check. The general problem is uncomputable.

"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
-- Security exploit description on