SubjectRe: DMA disabled and busy errors
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Janine Le wrote:

> If you use the Ultra ATA/66 cable with better grounding, you will not get
> the DMA irq timeout error. You will get the timeout error if you are using
> the usual enhance IDE cable that come with all the motherboard.

Yes this could be a true statement, but at 5-7 times the cost of an EIDE
(which is 19-23 inches long, the real problem). The new ATA-5 Ultra/66
is still a mystery product for most, including me.

The Promise Ultra66 is not widely available nor are drives and devices.

I have found that most UDMA2 drives are shipped with cables that exceed
the spec. limits if ATA-3/4 by about one inch. Second ATA66 will not work
without proper signalling and will fall back to ATA33 regardless of the
host adapter and the new 80 conducter ATA66 ribbon.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/2.2.5.uniform-ide-6.19.patch.gz

APC UPS Daemon Support Center.
http://www.brisse.dk/site/apcupsd/
GPLed source on April 7, 1999

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.072 / U:1.868 seconds]