    SubjectRe: ext3 to include capabilities?

    weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk said:

    > > Old security scripts program has root privileges. It is wrong, it has
    > > only subset. But it is wrong _the right way_. Old scripts still see
    > > the "bad scenario".
    >
    > > It is no-loose situation.
    >
    > It's a no-lose situation until you start using the new features to add
    > privileges which weren't there in the first place.

    That's not the common case, though - the first things that get converted to
    use capabilities will surely be the existing suid stuff, won't they?

    Are you suggesting that the whole system should break when you reboot to an old
    kernel?

    What wrong with sticking
    if (geteuid() == 0 && getuid() != 0) exit(1);

    in your new capability-aware utilities if it's so important to avoid suid
    operation on old kernels?

    A lot of people are going to want to remove the suid bit from existing
    executables and add capabilities. If that then breaks when they reboot to an
    old kernel, then we've done something blatantly wrong. Using the suid bit as a
    marker to show the presence of a 'capability header' seems like an ideal
    solution, because it provides backwards compatibility without any loss of
    security in relation to the _existing_ situation. New capability-holding
    utilities that were never suid and should never be suid can just include that
    one-liner I gave above.

    David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Office: (+44) 1223 810302
    Project Leader, Process Information Systems Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
    Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
    finger dwmw2@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:33.552 seconds]