SubjectRe: SCSI Sequential Tape loaders for large backups
Eduardo Soriano wrote:

> Is someone awared about DLTs sequential tape changers running on
> Linux ?
>
> We used an HP SureStore DLT 30/70GB linked to a Mylex Flash LT. Fine.
>
> Quite a litte slow but fine.

Define slow ;-)
You can do some tweaking for the DLT7000 in scsi/st_options.h

> Nevertheless, due to huge amount of data to save, I am looking now
> for a sequential changer driving 5 or 8 (or 16) DLTs to be
> used automatically during large backups (600 GB)
>
> Any idea about?

Most I know run fine under Linux.

Depends on the time you want to spend on the backup, what kind of data
it is etc., and also how much data you will have in say, a year, or 2
years.

The only changers I had problems with were the Adic VLS series.

I've had much fun so far with the StorageTek 9730, 9714 and 9710's, they
have 30, 100, or 588 slots max. with 4, 6 or 10 drives max.

Also the Quantum DLT4500, DLT4700, and Adic Faststor LUN based
changers work fine, with resp. 5 and 7 slots for DLT tapes.
The Quantum changers only come with DLT4000 drives, the Faststor
in both DLT4000 and DLT7000.

To control the changers:
For SCSI changers you could take a look at 'scsi-changer', by Leonard
Zubkoff, for LUN based changers 'mtx', by Gerd Knorr.

scsi-changer: http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/
mtx: http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/linux.html

HTH

Regards,

Pieter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.040 / U:0.756 seconds]