    SubjectRe: Thread hang problem on 2.2.4

    On 1999-04-05 at 17:02:01, Chris R. Jones wrote:
    > I've been working on a linux program which uses threads very heavily,
    > and I believe I've encountered a bug with either the linux kernel or
    > glibc & linux-threads.

    The problem you described sounds very-very similar to one I'm having;
    but in my case, it's happening with a binary-only application, so I
    could not proceed to debug by narrowing down to simpler test cases :)

    My findings are detailed in a post with the subject "of staroffice 5.0,
    linux 2.2 and select()",
    but the very short version that it seems to be caused by 2.2-pre8
    (2.2-pre7 worked fine), and in that particular version, reverting the
    select.c/poll.h changes to the pre7 version are sufficient to get rid of
    the problem. Can you confirm it's the same problem? (I.e. by trying at
    least 2.2-pre7 and 2.2-pre8?)

    However, I'm more and more beginning to see that the select/poll changes
    are not the "real" culprit, but funnily they are enough to invoke the
    problem. I'll continue to look at the rest of the code

    > Basically, the problem is this: In a single process, I create three
    > threads: one which serves as a listener for TCP/IP connections,
    > the next which serves as the 'server' end of a TCP/IP socket which is created
    > by the listener thread, and finally a socket for the 'client' end of
    > the TCP/IP socket which connects to the 'server' end of the TCP/IP socket
    > through a connect() call (which is serviced by the listner thread).

    Footnote: possibly this is what staroffice is doing also...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.026 / U:4.072 seconds]