    SubjectAppletalk in the kernel causes garbage ethernet packets
    Date

    I have been playing around with Netatalk for a while now and have
    been having serious problems with it. Soon after I start running Netatalk,
    my machine starts spewing huge numbers of completely corrupted packets. It
    doesn't spew continuously -- every few minute (from 1 minute to an hour) it
    sends out a burst. I don't have a dump of the packets but I have looked at
    them. Even the source ethernet address is random. The spew takes up maybe
    1/4 of the bandwidth of our 100base-T network. Even after killing
    Netatalk, the packet spewing continues until I reboot the machine.

    I have tried this on single and dual processor machines, with all
    of the 2.2 kernels (including 2.2.5 with its small appletalk fix), and with
    three different versions of the netatalk daemon (1.3.3, 1.4b2, and
    1.4b2+asun2.1.3). My netcard is the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100. The card
    is hooked to a 10/100 switch. I've tried PII and K6 computers.

    Has anyone else run into this problem? Is anyone else sucessfully
    using Netatalk with the 2.2 kernels and hardware similar to mine?

    Thanks for your help,

    Aaron

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.022 / U:29.716 seconds]