    SubjectRe: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
    I also think that it's important not to use rpm for things that are
    not redhat specific ... as in pieces of the kernel, general utils.

    RPM is great ... I use it on my Redhat box. I don't use it on my
    slackware box ... or my home-grown no distribution box. Can't.
    It doesn't know what's installed. ( Yes, I know, I could override
    dependencies ... but really, does that argue for it being an optimal
    distribution format? )

    ---
    There is a party that | Libertarian Party | A victimless crime is
    supports the right to | http://www.lp.org | a contradiction in
    free speach and | The Party of | terms.
    encryption!! | Principal |

    On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Chris Ricker wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Alex Buell wrote:
    >
    > > The 1.55 release:
    > > ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/quota/quota-1.55-10.i386.rpm
    > > ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/quota/quota-1.55-10.src.rpm
    > >
    > > WHY IS THIS ONLY IN RPM FORMAT?! Please could we have a tarball of the
    > > sources!! I am not downloading RPM just to get at the sources! (Yes, I
    > > checked in the ftp server)
    >
    > First, FYI, rpm's do not require that you install rpm software. They're just
    > cpio archives + a header. Use perl, ed, or whatever to strip off the
    > header, then extract the cpio [1]. If you get the .src.rpm, the cpio should
    > be a tarball of the original source, plus a patch file or two of Stephen's
    > changes to actually make it work. Grab that, strip it, extract it, explode
    > the tarball and apply the patches, and you should be set.
    >
    > Furthermore, don't you think you're being just a tad bit petulant? It's in
    > RPM because the author (Stephen Tweedie, I think) chose to do it that way.
    > "He who writes the code gets to make the rules." It's not like he posted it
    > in rot-13, uuencoded, and then binhex4 or something absurd like that--rpm is
    > a fairly standard Linux file format, particularly given that he's a RH
    > employee.
    >
    > If my recollection is right, the quota package was at one point in the
    > development cycle basically not being maintained (either the maintainer was
    > swamped with other work, or MIA, or unknown, or whatever--the quota software
    > is just a linux port of the *BSD quota stuff, so it's not even like there's
    > a definite author per se). It also needed to be updated because it broke
    > badly with quotas over 4 gigs. Stephen probably didn't want to become the
    > maintainer, so he just added a patch to the rpm to provide support for
    > larger quotas, and then was nice enough to put the package on his ftp site
    > for everyone instead of just leaving it on ftp://updates.redhat.com/ for
    > only Red Hat users to find.
    >
    > Since that time, somone else has started actively maintaining the quota
    > package, and they've added some additional support to it that helps with
    > quotas over knfs and such, so I've been meaning to update the Changes file
    > to mention that. However, I've been having a really hard time getting
    > patches accepted, so it hasn't gotten updated....
    >
    > Hit ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/mvw/ for the current package. I think it's up
    > to 1.70, but 1.65 is really all you need, and only then if you're doing
    > quotas over knfs. Otherwise, 1.55 is fine (either the unpatched if you
    > don't have quotas for any users over 4 gig, or patched if you do).
    > However, I think 1.70 fixes the problems that were discussed on bugtraq a
    > while ago, so it might be worth getting for that reason as well. It's the
    > version I use, anyway.
    >
    > > Finally, I think the Changes file should have each particular part of the
    > > system attributed to a specific author so I can email them directly
    > > instead of posting to the list.

> [...]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.029 / U:30.212 seconds]