    SubjectRe: `Out of memory for cc1' in linux-2.2.4
    On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Tom Holroyd wrote:

    >On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    >
    >>And while we're on the subject, is anybody else having VM problems able
    >>to relate them to shared memory usage?
    >
    >Well, if I use Gimp (GIMP version 1.0.1) with the X shared memory
    >extension (XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1) on my Alpha PC164 then after a while X
    >crashes.. If I use Gimp's --no-xshm option I can run it all day.

    I think my messages 'stuck on TLB IPI wait' that occurr when out of memory
    may be related. If I run 5 copies of a multi-threaded gimp on a 700kB JPEG
    image and my machine will prematurely run out of memory and spew the
    message above. With Linux 2.1.132 (highest I have tested so far, working
    on it) I can use up all of my swap space and everything is happy even with
    0kB swap free. Under 2.2.5 I typically lock solid at about 50 MB swap used
    when those TLB IPI messages show up. SMP Pentium 233 MMX here. Haven't
    tried --no-xshm but I'm more interested in figuring out why GIMP can bring
    down the kernel than the X server crashing right now. As soon as I can
    narrow down the kernel version I'll let you know.

    -George

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:89.560 seconds]