    SubjectRe: Removable media bug

    >Is this really a kernel bug? I have a floppy drive that does the same
    >it doesn't always notify the kernel that the media changed. I can
    force it
    >with your workaround *or* by being very careful when inserting the new

    Yes, it is a bug, because whem you unmount a device, caches are flushed
    first, then the fs is put to "clean" state. Finally you and eject the
    disk. But the caches MUST be invalidated too ! You must not preserve a
    cache of a device which doesn't exist any more.

    >Of course, if it doesn't happen with 2.0.x then it is a kernel bug.

    I don't know.

    >never showed the problem on this system; I think it always reread the

    DOS haven't "umount" command...

    >(OS/2 did show the problem, though.)

    No, I never had such a problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.023 / U:6.548 seconds]