    SubjectRe: Subject: Re: ext3 to include capabilities?
    Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > Rogier Wolff writes:
    > > Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > >> Oh my, do we have a bug? The sticky bit is normally for root only.
    > >> Here is Digital UNIX:
    > >
    > > That is because the sticky bit is "old fashioned". It used to be used
    > > On directories, a second meaning was assigned for this bit. This is
    > > not privileged.
    > I know what it was and is used for. I think we have a bug.
    > As you can see below, Digital UNIX _does_ let a normal user
    > set the sticky bit on a directory:

    So? Linux doesn't interpret the bit in a way that should make
    it privileged, so why make the setting of that bit privileged?

    So, Linux and Digital allow different things. On linux, as a normal
    user, you get to store one (1) extra bit of information on every
    file. Wow!

    ** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
    ------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:29.188 seconds]