    SubjectRE: How to make Linux scale up WRT bandwidth and size?

    On 29-Apr-99 Alex Buell wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
    >
    >> You can't mmap block devices. I don't think avoiding the filesystem
    >> will help particularly, though you could avoid some filesystem
    >> overhead in the real-time path by preallocating the file.
    >
    > How come I can mmap() /dev/zero ?

    For one, /dev/zero is a character device. It's also specifically designed to be
    mmaped, and is very simple to mmap because there's no real underlying device.

    There's no fundimental reason why a block device can't be mmaped, but there are
    a number of implementation gotchas, pariticularly on 32 bit machines.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.019 / U:151.184 seconds]