    SubjectRe: How to make Linux scale up WRT bandwidth and size?
    > On 29-Apr-99 David Kastrup wrote:
    > > File size: the ext2 file system tops out at 2GB file size, which is
    > > sufficient only for very short sequences (about two minutes).
    > > Something like 10GB would be more appropriate. For handling of the
    > > sequences *after* recording at the latest, we need to put them on
    > > files. Partitions are not flexible enough. So probably we need to
    > > use a non-native file system for this, like NTFS.
    > The limit is in the VFS layer on 32-bit CPUs, so switching filesystems won't
    > help. Ext2 and the VFS do support large files on 64 bit CPUs, so you're in
    > luck.

    If you want to exceed 2G at your 32-bit system, you may want to try
    my 'Large File Summit' patches for the Linux:

    However that is not yet fully aligned with glibc 2.1.(1)'s ideas about
    stat64(). I try to do that before the upcoming Linux Expo.

    /Matti Aarnio <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.024 / U:0.076 seconds]