    SubjectRe: 48 day uptime problem?
    > Unix, AIX and perhaps others). Hosts running Linux 2.2.1 or Irix
    > do respond to ping, but telnet, rsh, ftp, imap no longer work: it
    > just says "Connected to ..." and hangs there. Vice versa, a Linux
    > 2.2.1 machine can no longer telnet into this one -- but an Irix
    > machine can telnet in, only telnetting out is blocked.
    > The first time this happened, 6 days ago, I tried manually
    > restarting all network services, inetd, etc. It didn't work.
    > Eventually a reboot cured the problem. Now the identical problem
    > has cropped up on another machine with a near-identical
    > configuration and same kernel. In both cases it was after
    > exactly 48 days of uptime. Since all other services were manually
    > restarted I think it's a kernel problem.
    > Has this been seen before, and is it fixed in the newer kernels?

    No but I can't tell you what it is straight off. The Alpha timers run
    at 1KHz so 48 days is 2^32 ticks of time. The alpha also uses a 64bit
    value for the time counter. Someone has dropped it into 32bits in error
    causing the problem. Probably the tcp/ip code

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.041 / U:8.448 seconds]