SubjectRe: WAY OT--Crisis...virus! Need help
Date
Guest section DW wrote:

> At very first sight (looking at the source) Michail Brzitwa's gpart looks best.
> However, it is very slow (took a quarter of an hour on the first disk I tried)
> and gave zero output in my case.
> Gordon Chaffee's fixdisktable is fast, and gave the wrong answer after only
> a few seconds.

I did not have to use these utilities and I truly hope that this will
not change in the future. OTOH I heard about cases when people used
'gpart' and got back enough of information to make further recovery at
least reasonably easy. So, obviously, this works not only on disks
of the author but what are success requirements I have no idea.

I think then when one is rescuing a blown disk a speed of that operation
is a tertiary issue. Unless one is planning to make a career out of
this; I hope not. :-)

Once in the past I was recovering a scrambled partition table for somebody
(mixed file types). I did not have any tools like those mentioned above
but error message from 'mount' were of a great help and after some poking
around and tries I got back everything. Quite possible that because at
least part of information was still there even if some other stuff was
a total mess.

Going back to "Chernobyl virus" - I was told that it destroys
FAT tables, backup FAT tables, partition tables and after that
attempts to overwrite BIOS. So, if after that experience you computer
still boots (you have a pretty good chance that you will have to
replace a motherboard if not) and an affected disk had Linux partitions
on it then you have pretty good chances to recover these if you
restore your partition table. As for not backed-up data on DOS side
they better be very valuable if you plan to start solving this
jigsaw puzzle; it may take a long while.

Michal

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.064 / U:1.052 seconds]