    SubjectRe: What kernel version am I REALLY running?

    On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 wrote:

    > > On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Jonathan wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am running kernel version 2.2.6 or at least I should be ..... I compiled
    > > > etc. on SuSE Linux 6.0 which is suposed to be 2.2 ready. The kernel
    > > > installed in /vmlinuz as usual, but when I reboot the intro still says I am
    > > > running 2.0.36 and so does /proc/version and uname -r ..... I wouldn't care
    > > > except now I can't load modules because the setting for the modules
    > > > directory is /usr/modules/uname -r .... which is returning 2.0.36 instead of
    > > > 2.2.6 .... this is preventing me from using PPP in linux..... please help.
    > > >
    > > If `uname -r` is returning 2.0.36, you are running 2.0.36. If you don't
    > > believe this do `cat /proc/version`.
    > >
    > > Uname makes a 'C' runtime library call with a pointer to a structure
    > > containing various members (sysname, nodename, release, version, machine,
    > > and domainname). It then prints the results.
    > >
    > > You probably did not install your new kernel after you built it, even
    > > though you thought you did.
    > [Not certain why this is in kernel list, but anyways...]
    > I have run into this a while back on Redhat.
    > Look in /etc/lilo.conf to see where lilo wants the kernel to be. It is not always in /vmlinuz. Sometimes it is in /boot. (Redhat likes to call it all sorts of things as well.)
    > He may need to uncomment and modify the "boot=" line in /usr/src/linux/Makefile. (I know Redhat does not uncomment this line in the sources they distribute. Not certain about SuSe.)

    The last time I ran into this all i had to do was run lilo to update
    things and that seemed to work. After a reboot it started reporting the
    proper kernel versions.

    Jeremiah Hord / UITS Support Center - IUPUI

    "The Constitution admittedly has a few defects and blemishes,
    but it still seems a hell of a lot better than the system we
    have now." -Robert Anton Wilson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.037 / U:5.984 seconds]