    SubjectRe: alpha copy_to_user (was Re: NFS fails under 2.2.6)
    Date
    On 22 Apr 1999 11:16:17 +0200,
    Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote:
    >Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au> writes:
    >> Until that blissful state occurs, Alpha users need to specify "-c 4"
    >> when running ksymoops. That tells ksymoops that the input is 4 byte
    >> chunks that need to be byte swapped.
    >
    >Couldn't the endianess be guessed from the vmlinux image?

    ksymoops does not read vmlinux by default. I was also thinking about
    users who want to do cross system debugging. That is, those working on
    embedded systems or porting to new systems. Debugging a big endianess
    Oops (say i370) on a little endian machine (say i386) needs a common
    interface. Fortunately we have one, it's called network order :).

    The real problem is the endianess ambiguity on *some* systems when they
    dump their code lines. AFAIK, all archs use network order for
    /proc/ksyms, System.map, EIP/PC, registers, stack trace, objdump etc.
    Some archs dump Code: in network order as well. Only a few systems
    cause problems by dump the Code: line with the native endianess. IMHO,
    the traps.c code for those systems should be converted to network order
    instead of complicating ksymoops even further.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:148.844 seconds]