SubjectRe: inheritable set [was Re: caps in elf headers: use the sticky
   Date: 	Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:55:05 -0700
From: Casey Schaufler <casey@sgi.com>

> The various company's Trusted Unix systems were mostly compatible,
> but unfortunately, not quite; that's why there was a push to try to
> standardize caoabukutues within POSIX in the first place.

This is a reasonable assumption, but turns out not to have been
the case. The Posix P1003.1e/2c effort began in 1986 as a
/usr/group draft, presented by AT&T's Unix Systems Lab. At the
time only Gould (anyone remeember them?) had actually fielded
anything. We were all under the specter of the "C2 in '92"
directive, and were pretty clueless. The effort moved to POSIX
about a year later because two someones (names withheld until
someone buys me that beer...) felt that AT&T was trying to railroad
their plans into a standard. They were, by the way. So, the
POSIX security group (P1003.6 at the time) became a giant design
committee, representing every vendor of note and many important
customers. The POSIX draft does not reflect the vendor's
implementations, the implementations reflect the draft. The only
exceptions I know of are SVR4ES, which stuck with what they'd
entered the fray with, and HP, which holds tightly to their
SecureWare heritage in some ways.

Ah, thanks for describing the history. I had wondered why Trusted HPUX
was different from the draft and from the rest of the other Trusted
Unices.

Will you be at Linux Expo? I wouldn't mind buying you that beer....

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.028 / U:1.184 seconds]