    SubjectRe: Configurable larger physical memory
    Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:
    > No, I there's another problem of people setting it as high as they
    > possibly can ("hey, I might put 3G of ram in here someday...") without
    > realizing that there are tradeoffs and they probably want the default.
    > I think the question should be phrased as "Limit userspace memory to..."
    > instead of "Maximum physical memory..." for this reason.

    Hm, no, that doesn't make sense. Who would limit userspace memory?
    Perhaps "Physical RAM/Userspace tradeoff" would be more appropriate, and
    select

    1GB RAM/3GB Userspace
    2GB RAM/2GB Userspace
    3GB RAM/1GB Userspace
    4GB RAM/192MB Userspace

    or something like that, and there certainly has to be documentation.
    BTW: Is it really still necessary for the kernel to access all the
    phyiscal RAM? I understand that it has to access memory mapped IO, and
    it's own address space, but the rest? I can't see such a design in the
    68k architecture specific part, or am I just missing something?

    --
    Bernd Paysan
    http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/