    SubjectRe: setuids() like setgroups() ?
    In article <>,
    Alan Cox <> wrote:
    >> However, this is very non-standard and the cances of this getting
    >> implemented are very low, I guess. The reason I am asking this is that
    >> I am considering hacking Apache and the kernel for UID swtching -
    >> wondering if it should be a quick&dirty local hack, or something reasonably
    >> clean so I can try to get it integrated into Linux and Apache.
    >How do you solve pid reuse ?

    PID reuse? The task struct would just contain a struct switchuid * with
    all the valid uid/gid pairs. Probably inherited on fork, not on exec.

    >> Aha, that would be SCM_SETCREDENTIALS ? I'm curious about this. It
    >> seems to be the easiest (and most probable) solution for now.
    >Yes. Exactly - it then means that a client can for example pass a request
    >to a server along with the right for the server to assume its identity. And
    >vice versa the client can ask the server "I want to become fred = auth is .."
    >and have the server return "no" or "yes - auth sent"

    Does any existing OS already implement this so I can read the manpages
    or the source code, or would this be a Linux-specific extension. And
    what would the proper name actually be - SCM_SETCREDENTIALS ?

    Yes I've seached using Altavista, Hotbot and Dejanews but couldn't
    find anything on the subject

    Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.022 / U:6.904 seconds]