    SubjectRe: smbfs problem with 2.2.5
    Steve Dodd wrote:

    > I've lost my recent archives for this list, so I don't know the backgound to
    > this :( but I thought a while back there was discussion about an enhanced
    > smbmount that launched a daemon to manage this sort of thing. There was also
    > a debate as to where the latest version of smbmount, smbfs, etc. could be
    > found. Have you looked in one of the archives for this discussion? It might
    > help, it might not. I hope the former :)
    >
    > S.

    I was actually part of that previous discussion. The general consensus
    was the samba 2.0.3 was *supposed* to have fixed the timeout problems.
    Many people seem to be still having problems, however. I'm not sure
    about the smbmount daemon thing. My understanding is that smbmount *is*
    the daemon.

    What it boils down to, it seems to me, is that NT seems to think that
    the smbmount client has disconnected. This is probably a bug on NT's
    part, but in our martyrdom we are forced to work around and accomodate
    the failings of other OS's in ways they would never do for us. :/ So
    what we probably need is a hard keepalive generated to the NT server
    often enough to keep it from disconnecting, since the reconnect part
    doesn't seem to work well.

    It's also a little unclear as to whether this is a kernel problem or a
    samba problem. All the messages I get in my logs are from the kernel,
    for what that's worth.

    --
    Matthew Vanecek
    Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis