    SubjectRe: CPU affinity

    On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:

    > Suppose: We have a numbercrunching application running mostly on CPU1.
    > Cache-1 is "hot", cache-2 is "cold". CPU1 is currently executing some
    > triviality, CPU2 is idle. And suppose we have 1M cache on the CPUs.
    > So suppose we schedule the number crunching application onto CPU2.
    > DIMMs are 64 bits right? Do they run in something like 6-1-1-1 timing?
    > So we get 32 bytes into the cache in 100 ns (rounding a bit). This is
    > a 100ns stall, and wether the application "heats up the cache" all at
    > once after starting, or wether it happens over a (much) longer period
    > of time doesn't matter: in the end it will have waited
    > 1M bytes cache size / 32 bytes/cache-line-fetch * 100ns = 3.3ms.
    > for the cache to heat up.

    you are assuming the worst case. The above is true only if there is
    minimal 'cache-flux' (cachelines moving in and out of cache), and the
    whole cache is related to the application. Typical number crunching
    applications have either a considerable cache-flux, or have a rather small
    cache-footprint. In either case the 3.3ms worst-case 'cache-miss cost' is
    (often much) smaller.

    nevertheless we do not want processes to ping-pong between CPUs, and the
    Linux scheduler very actively tries to avoid it. A CPU-switch every 2
    seconds is not good, but even in the worst case costs only 3.3ms/2000 ms =
    0.16% slowdown. (also note that this is caused by xosview, a 'pure'
    number-crunching system will show no such pingpongs. And note that only
    2-CPU systems are affected, on a 4-ways box this effect is much less
    probable.) But we do not want to have even this amount of ping-pong, i've
    sent some patches to Mathias, and if the problem is resolved i'll send a
    summary patch to linux-kernel as well. (there are some other small
    scheduling corner-cases we miss on SMP, see the recent PMesa thread)

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.024 / U:38.004 seconds]