SubjectRe: caps in elf, next itteration (the hack get's bigger)
Richard Gooch <> said:

> This to me is one of the real blind-spots of some people who are
> pushing capabilities. There is absolutely no need to remove the
> privileges of the root account. By default root has all capabilities.

The whole idea of capabilities is to get rid of all-powerful users, to
split the root powers among several people where _nobody_ has all
powers. Any scheme that keeps a root of some sort is broken.

> Capabilities are a good thing, as they give more flexibility. But
> there simply is no need to cripple root.

Then give root all capabilities. "To cripple root", as you call it, is not
_needed_, but it is essential to be _able to do it_, else you can get just
a fraction of the security benefits out of this scheme.

Yet again: A pure capability system just has no "root". It is quite a
different type of beast as the Unix systems we all are accustomed to.
Dr. Horst H. von Brand