    SubjectRe: Low-level format with Sg drivers
    Douglas Gilbert wrote:
    > Susan E. Wiig wrote:
    > >
    > > Has anyone out there ever done a low level format using the generic scsi
    > > drivers. Why I ask is when I do it the write sends out the command to
    > > the drive, a Zip drive in this case, and the drive goes off and happily
    > > starts to do the low level format but it comes back too soon. It then
    > > does the read but there is a sense error. The sense error I get is
    > > Medium Error, Not ready to ready transition ( medium may have
    > > changed). I know the commands I send to the drive are correct, in fact
    > > I have looked them up in the Zip specs.
    > >
    > > Could there be some type of signal that is causing the low-level
    > > formatting to be ending to soon, or is there some signal I should send
    > > between the write and the read in the scsi call?
    > >
    > > I am at a loss.
    > Susan,
    > I have not tried a low level format (by which I assume you mean the
    > SCSI command FORMAT UNIT). One thing to look out for would be the
    > default 60 second timeout. From your error message from the sense
    > buffer that doesn't seem to be your problem. Typically the SCSI
    > command you execute after closing the door on the removable media
    > will get the "not ready to ready transition" error. The usual
    > response is to try it again. But if this was the case it should be
    > reported pretty well immediately.
    > If there is a timeout after 60 seconds then I would expect the
    > 'host_status' to be set to DID_TIME_OUT (0x03). Could it be
    > possible a timeout occurred and the sense_buffer already had
    > that data in it from an earlier command?
    > The default timeout can be elongated by the SG_SET_TIMEOUT
    > ioctl.
    > Doug Gilbert

    Actually when I checked again the sense buffer from the read right after
    the low-level format quit was Unit Attention, Data Path Failure
    (Should use 40 NN). I haven't figured out what 40 NN is yet. I guess
    this message may not be surprising since I just did a low level format
    on the disk. Maybe things get lost between the write and the read.

    Your idea about the timeout is worth a try. I am also going to try an
    ioctl call to the sd* driver and see if that works.

    Let you know what happens.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.048 / U:8.556 seconds]