SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC?] Re: 2.2.x kernels missend odd-sized ICMP pa
Followup to:  <>
By author: Horst von Brand <>
In newsgroup:
> BTW, Comer's "Internetworking with TPC/IP, vol 1" tells me that the
> checksum is computed by ones' complement sum of 16bit quantities in network
> byte order and stored in network byte order (i.e., big endian), the
> computation in ping.c:in_cksum is clearly in host format (little endian
> around here). What gives?

The reason one's complement (circular carry) is used is because it is
endian-independent. The littleendian checksum stored in littleendian
format is the same as the bigendian checksim stored in bigendian

"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
-- Security exploit description on